My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

6/22/2006

Bad Week for Long Tail

I'm having a really bad week at work. I've reached the stage of training where I'm pretty much left to fend for myself. This means a few more mistakes than usual, since I don't have everything down routine and pat. Perhaps this would not be so bad, or even unexpected, but those around me completely and totally freak out over the smallest mistake.

I'll not bore you with too many details (hopefully) but I switched two numbers around. This was a mistake, and yes, I screwed up. But I quietly and without fuss fixed them as soon as it was brought to my attention. Who hasn't inverted numbers accidently from time to time? Particularly if you are working with numbers all day long. But this woman? Flipped. Out. Completely. You'd have thought I tried stealing a million dollars rather than transposing two very large sums.

This also would probably not be that big a deal, except that I am very stressed by a large, overwhelming project I was assigned to. I am not qualified for it, and the person who has the info on how best to go about it wants to hoard it to himself for reasons probably best not looked at too closely. So I am all worked up about it, and things are not going well. Not at all.

Just to make things more interesting, the boss is coming back from vacatin next week. Then the fun will REALLY start.

When I started this job, I thought it would be good. Perhaps not fun, that would be expecting a bit much for one's paycheck, but well within the range of tolerable. I'm starting to think I was seriously wrong about that.

As I used to say to an old friend of mine, I feel like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I haven't been sleeping well at night, and this has made a lot of progress on my dragon. Stress keeps me stitching long after I get home. This has been very bad for such things like housecleaning and cooking. Last night I ate questionable leftovers from the fridge, and the husband had to fend for himself (which isn't as bad as it sounds, since he was at the Red Sox game.)

No comments:

Blog Archive