My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

6/27/2006

More Dragon Mistaks!

Augh! I have found another stitching mistake in my Dragon's Tea. I've put even more work into it than the first mistake. I think I'm going to knit socks for a little while. I'm hoping I can come up with a way to fudge the mistake. I think I would really cry if I had to rip it all out again. I seem to be one row off, not all the way across, but in one particular spot. Switching from page one to page two has been far more difficult than I imagined it would be. This is the first time I've ever tried a multiple page pattern, and its not going smoothly at all. I've even tried to be very careful, but it hasn't seemed to help.

Yesterday was a quiet day, and I got a lot of stitching done. I had a terrible headache, though, by the end of the day. I don't usually get headaches from stitching, so I don't know if the two were related. I think I just got overheated. As much as I hate to put it down, I think I need a little break from it.

Today has NOT been a quiet day at work. My boss decided that I am too soft-spoken on the phone. So he insisted I put a note on the phone that says to speak louder. I know he will at some point pop into my office to see if I actually did this. So I put a note that says VOLUME. He can't argue with that, and I refuse to be demeaned any further. Bad enough as it is.

I am soft spoken, but those who read often (ie, James) know that I have been getting over a sore throat the last week or more. I'm better now, but I think he purposely calls with a bad cell phone connection to try to prove his point I am not loud enough on the phone! Grrrrrr.

One of my many and varied temp jobs was to work at a call center, for a place similar to AAA, but with a bent for ripping off customers, and charging them twice for services. It was a horrible job, and I hated being on the phone all day. But no one ever complained they couldn't hear me. No matter how bad the cell phone connection, and how much I had to shout, I got service to everyone, every time. (Unless they refused to pay twice, of course.)

I talked to Grandma D. on the phone last night, and mentioned my new craze for knitting socks. She laughed and said she's not heard of anyone knitting socks since WWII. I told her that I use the Kitchner stitch for closing the toe, and its supposed to be from WWI. She said they knit socks for WWII, and sent them to the men, but it was a bit of a joke, because the socks never fit well. I'm sure she's imagining me with one sock too small and the other too big! And yucky, plain wool - or worse, acrylic! - in boring colors. (She asked me something about acrylic, but I couldn't figure out what she meant, exactly. Did they have acrylic in WWII?)

No comments:

Blog Archive